Monday, November 4, 2013

The Blog Must Go On

 
I wasn't sure I would feel like blogging today, in spite of my promise to blog every day this month. I had a lung biopsy this morning and didn't know what to expect.

They were going to insert a needle into my lung, for goodness sake! Would it hurt, would they hit the right spot without involving any blood vessels? Would my lung collapse, causing them to pump it up like a flat tire with a chest tube (shudder) and keeping me overnight?

All my worrying was for naught, thank goodness! I was under conscious sedation and was given pain meds anytime I got uncomfortable. The biopsy itself wasn't too bad; the hard part was having to keep my arms over my head and not move a muscle during the entire procedure, which seemed to last forever. My shoulders were killing me!

The doctor used CT scans as a guide for the needle insertion, so he would roll me into the scanner, insert the needle a bit, then scan again and insert some more, and so on until the procedure was done. The final step was to snip a sample of the walnut-sized mass in my lung and send it to the lab for testing. I heard a sharp snap but didn't feel a thing.

Once it was over and my poor, aching arms were lowered to my side I was sent off to the recovery room where I waited and dozed for about an hour. I had been fasting for about fifteen hours, but I didn't feel like eating. A cup of ice water was very welcome, however.

I had a chest x-ray to ensure that my lung hadn't deflated, and my son brought me home. (We may have stopped at McDonald's on the way and I may have scarfed a Quarter Pounder and some fries.)

My doctor should have the results of the biopsy by the end of the week. I can only hope that they give me as little cause for worry!

Until next time,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope the results are good! Way to keep blogging. :)

Jennifer said...

Wow, good luck! I'm impressed you were still able to post. I would totally be hiding out under a comforter until the doctor called.

smalltownme said...

Oh my goodness! Please let the news be good.