Monday, October 3, 2011

10 on Tuesday: The Top 10 of the American Film Institute

The American Film Institute honors film's past, present and future. It is dedicated to the restoration of films from 1893 to the present as well as to the education of future film-makers.

AFI is known for its "100 Years 100 Movies" listing of the greatest movies of all time, selected by a panel of 1,500 film insiders. I'm not going to have you scroll through 100 movie titles, but let's look at the top 10 and see if you agree. I'll throw in my opinion for free!

1. Citizen Kane, 1941

Best movie of all time? Are you kidding me? I have never known what the fuss is all about. I've seen it once and that was enough. I wouldn't put it in my Top 100, let alone Number 1. 


2. The Godfather, 1972

Good acting, I'll grant you, but this movie (or any Mafia movie) just ain't my thing, capiche?


3. Casablanca, 1943

Now you're talking! I've seen this film so many times, I can provide all the dialog. And what great dialog it is!Definitely on my Top 10.


4. Raging Bull, 1980

DeNiro is OK, and sometimes better than OK, but this film just never interested me. I've never seen it, so I can't really judge if it's great or not.


5. Singin' in the Rain, 1952

This film is kinda cute, features  perky Debbie Reynolds, great dancing by Gene Kelly and better dancing by Donald O'Connor, but...not my Top 100 material.


6. Gone with the Wind, 1939

OK, I'll admit I'm prejudiced. I have loved this movie since I first saw it and I've seen it a couple of times over the years. Definitely in my Top 10, Top 5 probably.


7. Lawrence of Arabia, 1962 

There's more to this film than Peter O'Toole's gorgeous blue eyes; great cast, interesting story, and scenery that won't quit. Pretty nice score, too. Maybe not in my Top 10, but definitely in my Top 20.


8. Schindler's List, 1993

This film will break your heart. Brilliant cast, horrifying story, happy ending for some, thanks to Herr Schindler. Ralph Fiennes' character makes Lord Voldemort look like a choir boy. Not on any of my lists because I couldn't bear to watch it again.


9.  Vertigo, 1958

Seriously? It's Hitchcock, of course, but not his best. Jimmy Stewart too, and not his best either. Didn't do a thing for me, but Kim Novak is pretty.


10. The Wizard of Oz, 1939

Great movie, even after all these years. Great little life lesson hiding behind Munchkins and witches, and flying monkeys and good pals (in black and white and color). It makes my Top 100.


I'm linking to

Photobucket
Till next time



2 comments:

Montanagirl said...

I've seen several of those. I liked Casablanca and Gone With the Wind.

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Love The Wizard of Oz...watched it a gazillion times growing up. :) Great recap!